Off Grid System
An off-grid system is a standalone system which provides electricity through its battery bank. To ensure access to electricity at all times, off-grid solar systems require battery storage and a backup generator (if you live off-the-grid). On top of this, a battery bank typically needs to be replaced after 5 years. Batteries are complicated, expensive and decrease overall system efficiency.
Advantages of Off Grid System
- No access to the utility grid: This system is beneficial for remote places where the reach of electricity is not there
- Become energy self-reliant: It gives you the feeling of being self sufficient in terms of energy requirements and you are not affected by the failures in the grid system.
Dis-advantages of Off Grid System
- This system is complex and expensive as it requires huge amount of batteries.
- Batteries are expensive and need maintenance and periodic replacement.
- It needs more space to intall the system as the additional equipments (i.e charge controller and batteries) are need additional space for installation.
- The electricity is stored in batteries which are not very environmentally friendly which defeats the purpose of going solar (save money and go green)